Peter Kocjančič, graphic designer and photographer, was born on 27 November 1895 in Podgora, the vicinity of Gorica. Having graduated from the school of decorative painting, he studied at the Art Academy in Venice for a few semesters. After World War I he worked as a graphic artist and illustrator in the Yugoslav Printshop, Ljubljana, and in 1930 he began exploring photography. He was a member of the Visual Designer Association of Slovenia and the Slovenian Fotokino Association from their inception. From 1932 onwards he participated at several photography exhibitions at home and abroad. He received 82 gold, silver and bronze medals and plaques as well as 40 certificates. The Photography Association of Yugoslavia awarded him the highest award, “master of photography”, and in 1967 the International Federation of Photographic Art recognised him with the honorary title “Hon. EFIAP”. He entered the history of Slovenian graphic design as a pioneer in using photography. He died on 23 April 1986 in Ljubljana.
Metka Dariš, curator of the exhibition and Head of Slovenian Cinematheque Museum Department has written the following on the exhibition:
The late 1920s saw the emergence of posters that are considered the first preserved original Slovenian film posters. To design them, their author, Peter Kocjančič, applied abstracted illustration, colour, text and image overlap as well as hand drawn lettering. He used the most popular and fashionable fonts of the time as templates. Varying in design and success of realisation, the posters preserved serve as proof of his search for possible visual solutions for various film genres. Also, they provide insight into the development and range of the artist’s design language. They were made before he began exploring photography, which later overcame him completely. As a result, with his later design works he entered the history books as a pioneer of using photography as the main carrier of message. Even today, his film posters continue to perform their function. They still transfer information and an invitation, the only difference being that today they pass the story of cinema, of film programme and the means of communicating with audiences, at the same time telling us of the concurrent emergence of the profession that is nowadays known as visual communication design.
The exhibition will open on Thursday 19th Septe,ber 2013 and will run until 7th November 2013. The gallery is open every working day from 8 am until 6 pm.